Skip to main content

In the Eye of the Beholder

It is a known fact that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
So what qualifies as art and who has the right to determine what is art and what is not?


I have seen plenty of paintings that I thought, "wow" my daughter could do that, but does that mean it is not art? absolutely not, it means I have a different opinion. More power to the artist that can put a few paint strokes on a canvas, call it art and sell it. 

I have seen even more paintings and art and thought, "wow, that is beautiful or interesting." That is what art is to me, something that will catch my eye, make me look at it and even question what is going on. 

One of my all time favorite artists is, Salvador Dali, his art has always intrigued me. It's odd and makes you look at it, makes you search the painting for the meaning or the story behind it. To me, he is a great artist, I have even subjected my family to the "Salvador Dali Museum" in St. Petersburg, FL twice. 

There are so many types of art out there and so many opinions, what we have to do as amateur artist is figure out our niche and who our target audience is. I have figured out my niche but still having a problem reaching my audience, still working on that. Of course in the mean time I will continue to paint, sketch and Zentangle®.

What artist do you think is great and why? 
Please comment below I would love to hear what others think.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Three Trees

I have been experimenting with Ph Martin inks lately, I like them.  They are pretty much like watercolors but seem to have a bit more pigment in them. The background on this was done with the inks, the clouds and the foreground was done using black and white gouache.  I feel like I am the middle tree, my dreams are on one side of me growing larger and larger, while my regular 9 to 5 is on the other getting smaller. I am reaching for the dream but I still have the 9 to 5 pulling at me. One day it will only be the two trees and I intend on it being the larger one. Dream big and don't give up, through all the fog there is a bright future.

Lots of Patterns

Still just doodling away, my goal is to fill this small sketchbook up over the next few months.  The biggest challenge with this trying to use different patters for each section.

Jasper's Cat Naps

Usually the reason for me having problems creating is becuase I have artist block or just too busy, well now I have a new problem. Mr. Jasper has found a new napping place. This creates a big problem on so many levels: He is in my way As you can see, he is very hairy and has a lot of hair balls which he has no issues getting rid of wherever he would like. Again, very hairy and he sheds, on everything including the painting I was working on. (good thing I was not happy with the painting). He will push off anything in his way Along with my art desk he has found a few other places, our computer desk, in front of the satellite receiver, the bathtub and the bin where I keep my art towels.  Along with is odd sleeping area he now has fleas. I will not say where he got these from but I do know the source. Now its off to the pet store to find a product to put on him because giving this cat a bath is a death sentence for anyone that attempts it. We have never had a flea proble...