Skip to main content

Did Someone Say Blueberries?

Sketched, outlined in ink and colored
with colored pencils on paper

I wanted to do something this weekend that we have never done, U-pick it Blueberries. I have never been a huge fan of blueberries but my husband and son liked them, so I figured what the heck, lets go. We went to a place in Clermont, Fl called Southern Hill Farms, it was about 20 minutes away from my in-laws house so it wasn't too far.


So armed with my GPS we set out on our little trip, after realizing I just passed the road we did a U-turn (almost got hit because someone was riding my ass) and found our way to the 5 mile dirt road we had to go down before we made it to the farm, but it was a gorgeous view. 


Since this was something we had never done before I wanted to know the best place to pick and the best blueberries and of course I wanted them sweet. The workers at the farm were great and they actually took us on a tractor to a good location further away (more berries).

The Family
 Once we got to our destination the picking began, I had a blast but the kids, not so much. There were swarms of love bugs, and they would get into the bucket so after about 30 - 40 minutes my in-laws and daughter made their way back before the rest of us. There were a few wasps hanging out in a couple of bushes but nothing that stopped the picking. The farm lets you eat them while you are picking too, which was nice since there were so many types of blueberries (I will have a list below of the different varieties). We ended up with almost 4 pounds of blueberries so it is great that they freeze well because apparently the best times for picking is April and May. I will absolutely go back and would recommend this to anyone. Not only do you get the freshest blueberries but it was some good family time also.

Here is a list of what they have listed on their website.

Emerald – Taste is semi-sweet and excellent firmness but the most amazing thing about this variety is the size of the berries, near that of a quarter!
Flicker – Large, firm and excellent flavor.
Primadonna – Super sweet, with almost a bright blue appearance, excellent firmness.
Jewel – Large, softer skinned berry with a bit of a tart flavor.
Springhigh – Medium sized, soft skinned berry with a unique sweet flavor.
Scintilla – Hands down best tasting berry, most of what we picked.
Meadowlark – “Meadowlark” is actually a cross off of the native North American sparkleberry.
Farthing- Very firm, large, deep blue berry.
Kestrel –  Smaller berry with a tart flavor similar to jewel.
Chickadee – Medium sized, semi-sweet flavor.
Sweetcrisp – Just like the name, Very sweet and crisp!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling a Little Ducky

As moving day is coming closer I have had to pack up most of my art supplies, which has limited me to 2 small sketch books, the pens I use the most and my handy, dandy tablet. I have turned to my tablet lately and have been pleasantly surprised by what I have been able to do. I had a very difficult time at first drawing on the tablet so I did more tradition, pen and paper drawings. Since I basically have no supplies for another 30 or so days I have made it a mission to keep creating what ever way I can in between, packing, children, work and life in general. This is how I have started my last 2 tablet drawings: Just a scribble across the entire screen, in the righthand side I saw a penguin and that was were I was going to started, then I on the bottom lefthand side I saw a duck and thats were I started. This is the cute little duck that came from this scribbly mess: I am finding many benefits of sketching on a tablet Layers - I can start a new layer and not

Hey Cupcake

One of my favorite things to bake is cupcakes, so for Day 21 of #inktober you got a cupcake. Of course I can never get my icing as perfect as this but they always taste good. They are so much easier to make then a regular cake, you don't have to worry about the bottom sticking to the pan or cutting the top of the layers to make it flat. Bake the cupcake and throw some icing on them unless of course you are going for a more creative look but even then it's still easier in my opinion. Hey Cupcake keep on inking!!

Is It Noisy Out Here

I am a day behind on posting for Day 2 of Inktober but that is ok.  I went with the prompt on this one "Noisy," as much as I would have loved to draw my children it would have taken too long.  Personally I love music almost any type, but the one thing I can't seem to understand, is when your in your car and a car beside you has the bass so high that it rattles your brain. I myself have never sat in a car with bass that high for fear that my ears or head would explode so I don't know if you can even hear anything other than bass. So here is my questions, they are to help others understand the reason behind the bass. What is the point of having the bass up that high? Can you hear anything other than bass? Is it a status thing, the higher the bass the cooler you are? Does it do damage to you vehicle? with all that vibration it has to rattle something loose, right? Well at least I know I will have a few more years with out hearing aids than the