Skip to main content

What is Om?

I had a friend ask me to do a painting for her and I happily said..sure. She said she wanted something with the Om symbol, I had to quickly look it it up, I had no idea what it was. Come to find out it is a symbol of something I did when I took Yoga (long before I had children). It is a beautiful symbol with a lot of meaning. Something worth looking up, here is what I have been able to research: 


Watercolor, Gouache and gold paint pen



The Meaning: Om is the all encompassing Cosmic vibration of the universe.

There are 5 states of Om:

  • The Unconscious State - Deep sleep
  • The Waking State 
  • The Dream state
  • The Absolute State
  • Illusion/Maya
I have also noticed there other variations of this symbol. 


I am not knowledgable enough on this subject to go into detail but when someone asks me to do a piece of art and I am not sure what it is or what its meaning is, I do the research. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Three Trees

I have been experimenting with Ph Martin inks lately, I like them.  They are pretty much like watercolors but seem to have a bit more pigment in them. The background on this was done with the inks, the clouds and the foreground was done using black and white gouache.  I feel like I am the middle tree, my dreams are on one side of me growing larger and larger, while my regular 9 to 5 is on the other getting smaller. I am reaching for the dream but I still have the 9 to 5 pulling at me. One day it will only be the two trees and I intend on it being the larger one. Dream big and don't give up, through all the fog there is a bright future.

Lots of Patterns

Still just doodling away, my goal is to fill this small sketchbook up over the next few months.  The biggest challenge with this trying to use different patters for each section.

Jasper's Cat Naps

Usually the reason for me having problems creating is becuase I have artist block or just too busy, well now I have a new problem. Mr. Jasper has found a new napping place. This creates a big problem on so many levels: He is in my way As you can see, he is very hairy and has a lot of hair balls which he has no issues getting rid of wherever he would like. Again, very hairy and he sheds, on everything including the painting I was working on. (good thing I was not happy with the painting). He will push off anything in his way Along with my art desk he has found a few other places, our computer desk, in front of the satellite receiver, the bathtub and the bin where I keep my art towels.  Along with is odd sleeping area he now has fleas. I will not say where he got these from but I do know the source. Now its off to the pet store to find a product to put on him because giving this cat a bath is a death sentence for anyone that attempts it. We have never had a flea proble...